Day 17: Thu 04 Apr 24 - Esperance

Thu 04 Apr 24 - Esperance

Refuel Day: Total Trip Towed: 3361km Total Trip Driven: 3601.8km Total Trip Avg  Fuel: 16.2 l/100km Total Fuel Used: 577lt Total Fuel Cost $1,261

It was a beautiful morning,12 Deg and clear with a gentle northerly breeze, reaching 22 Deg, mostly sunny all day with a solid 30-35km/h SE wind in the afternoon.

Being 3km away, I drove into the Esplanade to go for a lengthy morning walk along the foreshore, out onto the jetty and back. It was a glorious morning with lots of activity, including a long line up at the obviously very popular coffee van. I considered ordering a take away coffee too, but I'm not a fan of lining up for anything anytime, let along first thing in the morning, so I waited until I got back to the van.  Back at the van, I had my caffeine fix after breakfast, then Noel and I drove 20km out of town to the full-size replica of the the original Stonehenge in the UK, as it would have looked around 1850BC. Apparently there are about 96 large, permanent replicas of Stonehenge around the world. The Esperance replica took 10 months to construct, while the original in the UK took more than 1500 years. It's very impressive, but it just doesn't hold the same mystique as the original in the UK, which I visited in 2003. 

After a lengthy wander around Stonehenge, we returned to Esperance to the Jetty where the line up for the coffee van had dissipated. We decided it was worth a go, and we weren't disappointed - it was a very good brew which we enjoyed in the warm sunshine on the Esplanade. We then went for a nice stroll along the jetty, by which time the breeze had started picking up, and  became a little fresh. Not complaining though, the weather during our visit to Esperance has been outstanding. On the way back to the van, Noel grabbed a few essentials for the next couple of 'off-grid' days, while I refuelled. Back at the van after lunch and a few pre-departure preparations, checking tyres and topping up water, I climbed on the bike for a quick zip around town, and my third visit along the Esplanade today. The Esplanade has beautiful water views and plenty of green space with interesting tributes and monuments. Back at the van, I loaded the bikes onto the van, then packed away the awning and outdoor furniture in preparation for our departure tomorrow. Our destination is Dunns Ecopark, just outside the Cape Le Grand National Park for two nights.  I expect we will have internet late in the day or evening, but mobile phone reception may be sketchy if trying to get in contact.

A beautiful morning walk along the Esplanade

A beautiful morning walk along the Esplanade

A beautiful morning walk along the Esplanade

A beautiful morning walk along the Esplanade

A beautiful morning walk along the Esplanade. A tribute to the Lumper (also known as Wharfies, Dockers, and Waterside Workers), inspired by local waterside workers who loaded and unloaded cargoes from ships


A beautiful morning walk along the Esplanade. 

A beautiful morning walk along the Esplanade to the Jetty


A symbol of Sadness in Esperance on a beautiful morning walk along the Esplanade. 
The story attached talks about the 'Black Line'. In the 50's or before, there was an imaginary line in the sand, where blacks were not allowed to pass it after 6 o'clock at night.

A sad story

So hard to imagine.

A beautiful morning walk along the Esplanade onto the Jetty. 

A beautiful morning walk along the Esplanade onto the Jetty. 


A beautiful morning walk along the Esplanade. 


A beautiful morning walk along the Esplanade onto the Jetty. 


A drive 20km out of town to the Esperance Stonehenge, claimed to be the only full size replica of the original Stonehenge in the UK, as it would have looked around 1950BC. It consists of 137 stones of Esperance Pink Granite that was quarried from less than 1km away. 


Esperance Stonehenge

Esperance Stonehenge

Esperance Stonehenge

Esperance Stonehenge

Esperance Stonehenge


Sammy the Seal, on Esperance Esplanade - the Jetty's friendliest resident.


AFternoon Walk along the Esplanade

Esplanade Flora

Esplanade Flora



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 109: Fri 05 Jul 24 - Merghiny Gravel Pit (Ceduna) to Port Augusta

Day 111: Sun 07 Jul 24 - Clare

Day 11: Fri 29 Mar 24 (Good Friday) - Madura Pass to Norseman