Day 29: Tue 16 Apr 24 - Albany to Denmark

Tue 16 Apr 24 - Albany to Denmark (54km)

10 Deg overnight, with a heavy fog in the morning, reaching 25 in Denmark and very little wind. It was another magnificent day. I hear from many locals that this is the longest dry swell in the region since the recording of temperatures, and as much as I hope they get rain soon, I do hope it is after we leave. We have been blessed with incredible weather so far this trip, which we began four weeks ago today (4,951km covered).

I stepped outside on a very foggy morning at 06:30 and set off for a walk, by accident finding the trail to the top of nearby Mount Melville. It was a nice, but rugged bush walk to the summit, and I was rewarded with wonderful views across to the wind turbines on the coast in the south,  Shoal Bay to the North and Torndirrup National Park to the east. It was a great way to start the day, but I wish I had found it a few days earlier. 

With only a short distance to drive, we packed slowly and eventually drove away from Albany at about 09:20am, heading west towards Denmark along the wonderful South Coast Highway. We didn't stop until we reached the information centre at Denmark where we were given plenty of suggestions to occupy ourselves over the coming two and half days. To fill our time while waiting to check in to the caravan park at 2:00pm, we found a bakery for morning brew. Over coffee I sent an email asking if we could check in earlier (they don't answer the phone), and they kindly agreed to us checking in a whole one hour earlier - 1:00pm. After a walk around this very hip town, and an early lunch parked by the river in the van, we eventually made our way to the Riverbend Chalets and Caravan Park and checked in at 1:00pm. This is a lovely family run park with about 20 powered and unpowered sites in a peaceful rural setting about 3km out of town. After setting up, and sorting out some hose connection issues (too much pressure for our van without a water pressure reduction valve, which I have, but not the appropriate connection for their particular taps).  We eventually had it sorted, then after a cup of tea, I unloaded the bikes and we both went for a pleasant ride into town along the river and back again. The Weber was put to good use for dinner tonight, Noeleene had lamb loin chops and I had the best scotch fillet steak that I have had in a very long time (maybe ever) - both purchased from the Denmark Butcher. It was very good quality meat, very tasty (and superbly cooked of course...), and relatively inexpensive. Another day done and dusted way too fast.

Morning walk up Mount Melville 

Morning walk up Mount Melville with amazing views 

Morning walk up Mount Melville -Wind Farm in the distance 

Morning walk up Mount Melville with amazing views

Morning walk up Mount Melville


Morning walk up Mount Melville with amazing views

Morning walk up Mount Melville 


Morning walk up Mount Melville...
Talk about rock Hard!

Morning walk up Mount Melville - the descent


Denmark - War Memorial

Denmark - Colourful IGA Store


Denmark - Colourful IGA Store

Denmark - Colourful IGA Store (ooops - sorry Bron)

Denmark - Colourful IGA Store


Denmark - Colourful IGA Store

Denmark - Colourful IGA Store

Denmark - A Beached Boat (can you read the name!)

Denmark - The Denmark River

Denmark - Lovely Berridge Park 

Denmark - Berridge Park 

Denmark - Lunchtime setting by the river 


Denmark - Berridge Park 

Denmark - Home for the next three nights at the Riverbend Chalets and Caravan Park with dinner cooking on the BBQ.


Haven't had one of these for a while - accompanied by matching chocolate.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 109: Fri 05 Jul 24 - Merghiny Gravel Pit (Ceduna) to Port Augusta

Day 111: Sun 07 Jul 24 - Clare

Day 11: Fri 29 Mar 24 (Good Friday) - Madura Pass to Norseman