Day 48: Sun 05 May 24 - Rockingham

Sun 05 May 24 - Rockingham

13 to 19 Deg C, Partly Cloudy, with light southerly winds in the afternoon, another beautiful day in Rockingham. After a short delay when I noticed the fridge wasn't working again this morning, this time all power, I drove around to KJ's house for breakfast and a catch up. The remedy for the fridge again was wriggling a few wires, and a dust blow-out with the blower. I've decided I will try to arrange for someone qualified to check out the wiring before we leave Rockingham. There are a surprising number of caravan dealers and repair businesses in Rockingham, so it will just be a matter of finding someone able or prepared to do look at it quick time. 

Noeleene stayed at home this morning for some me time and did some cleaning. Meanwhile I spent the morning with KJ sorting out computer stuff. I also walked a few blocks away to visit an ex-Navy colleague, Andy Nelson (also at dinner last night) for a coffee and catch up. Andy's hobby, and part time income is cutting, drying and preparing many types of raw WA native timber into various sizes for different uses. People buy the timber, and with advice from Andy as needed, turn whatever wood they buy into everything from pens to cheese boards, benches and tables etc. He also has a caravan and is heading to Karijini National Park for a few weeks on Tuesday.  Andy was one of my Directing Staff at the Defence Staff College that I attended in 2007. It was nice to catch up with him. 

Back at the van, I had lunch with Noel, then we went for a bike ride along the foreshore. Noel turned around at the jetty and returned to the van for a rest, while I continued to Cape Peron for a look around. During my two years posted here in the mid 90's, I never ventured past the entrance to Garden Island, so I never saw any of Cape Peron. It's a beautiful location with 360 degree views over the region, including Garden Island. Cape Peron was also once an integral part of the coastal defence strategy of Western Australia during World War II. There was an urgent need to strengthen the defences of Australia with the Japanese attack on Darwin Harbour. This headland has remnants of the Peron Battery complex, manned by 'K' Heavy Battery. It consisted of two 155mm guns on Panama Mounts, two 18 pounder field guns, one observation post, an operations centre and engine room with generator and 150cm searchlights located at John Point and Mushroom Rock.

Built in 1942, Peron Battery was one of a string of heavy coastal artillery batteries located on Garden and Rottnest Island and on the mainland as far north as Swanbourne. These batteries known as the Fremantle Fortress, were dedicated to defending the Port of Fremantle, a highly-secretive base for over 160 American, British and Dutch submarines. Thankfully none of this artillery was used in battle. The war zone moved away from Western Australia and in December 1944 the Battery was decommissioned. 

After my ride, back at the van, we showered, changed and drove back to KJs for dinner with a group of about 10 friends. KJ's Malaysian friends provided a wide variety of food which was both tasty and plentiful.

Unfortunately, when we left to come home to the caravan, I had some worrying issues with the car. I got a battery system failure warning, which might explain the loss of my Automatic Stop / Start function yesterday. I intended to take it to check the battery tomorrow anyway, but, more concerning when I started the car, was a loud abnormal tapping noise followed by the smell of burning hydraulic fluid as I drove home. As I parked the car in front of the van I also lost power steering. We only drove 10km back to the van so hopefully the short distance hasn't made matters worse. Unfortunately, we have commitments from early tomorrow morning for most of the day which I can't change, so I can't get the car looked at as quick as I would like (KJ has arranged breakfast in Fremantle with more ex-Navy friends, followed by lunch also in Fremantle). We were due to leave the Rockingham on Tue, and had already planned to take the van and stay at KJs for a few days longer. Depending on when we can have the car looked at, and what is found, may mean a longer than expected stay. Frustrating...

Afternoon ride to and around Cape Peron looking towards Warnbro

Afternoon ride around Cape Peron

Afternoon ride around Cape Peron - Balancing Act

Afternoon ride to and around Cape Peron

Afternoon ride to and around Cape Peron - Fishermen

Afternoon ride to and around Cape Peron


Afternoon ride to and around Cape Peron - Looking towards Rockingham Foreshore

Afternoon ride to and around Cape Peron - WW2 Battery Defence with Garden Island (HMAS Stirling) in the background.

Afternoon ride to and around Cape Peron - Looking towards Rockingham Foreshore

Afternoon ride to and around Cape Peron - remnants of the Peron Battery complex


Afternoon ride to and around Cape Peron - remnants of the Peron Battery complex. The Peron Battery Observation Post looking towards Garden Island


Afternoon ride to and around Cape Peron - remnants of the Peron Battery complex. The Peron Battery Observation Post

Afternoon ride - Rockingham War Memorial

Afternoon ride - Rockingham War Memorial


Afternoon ride - Rockingham War Memorial


Another dinner at KJs - A lovely evening

 KJs - A National Geographic photo of a wild dingo printed on metal






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 109: Fri 05 Jul 24 - Merghiny Gravel Pit (Ceduna) to Port Augusta

Day 111: Sun 07 Jul 24 - Clare

Day 11: Fri 29 Mar 24 (Good Friday) - Madura Pass to Norseman