Tue 11 Jun 24 - Coral Bay to Exmouth (151km)
14 Deg C at Coral Bay, to 27 Deg C at Exmouth, partly cloudy and a light N wind all day.
We had a very slow start packing up today with a lot of delays getting away. First, I had to drag my tired body out of bed, then return Paul's Go Pro to him at the other caravan park. The delay with this was telling him about the Whale Shark experience yesterday. On the way back I bumped into an ex-Navy cook mate I haven't seen for more than 25 years. Mick Sparkes and I did our advanced cooks courses together many moons ago, and we also lived a few houses apart from each at HMAS Cerberus for four years on another posting. We will see Mick again at Exmouth again on Thursday. Paul (also an ex Cook who worked with me a few times), is also coming to Exmouth on Friday, so it might be a bit of a mini cooks reunion. Totally unexpected and incredible timing that we should all cross paths like this. Mick had to get away for a Manta Ray swim tour, so I was finally able to return to the van and start packing - well so I thought. The next door neighbour heard that I did the swim yesterday, and wanted to know everything about it. After another delay, we finally got back to packing up, and managed to drive away by 09:30. Thankfully it was only a short drive of about 150km today, and we had plenty of time.
The drive was mostly flat and treeless, with evidence of recent bushfires, but the growth was surprisingly green. The further north we travelled, the more termite mounds we saw and they became increasingly larger. They are scattered through the countryside as far as the eye can see. Despite our delays in getting away, we had time to kill, so we stopped by the roadside for our morning brew. I didn't have a coffee yesterday, and I hadn't had one yet this morning, so I was starting to feel the effects of withdrawal. The check-in process for the RAC Exmouth Caravan Park was extremely efficient. Because we booked, paid and pre-registered on-line, we were invited to check-in 2 hours earlier at 12:00pm. As we drove into Exmouth, we received a text message confirming our site was ready, and provided us with the gate security code and site number so we could proceed directly to our site without stopping at reception. We were quickly setup on a rather large site at the back of the park by 1215. Unfortunately, I reckon it took me another hour to drill pegs into the ground to secure the awning and off-side shade sail. The ground here is as hard as concrete. The rest of the afternoon was quiet, including a visit to IGA in town, then the Visitor Information Centre where we also booked the Yardie Creek Boat Tour for Saturday. Back at the van we had a quiet afternoon and evening - nothing unusual really.
PS - I updated yesterday's blog by adding a selection of photos taken by the photographer on the Whale Shark swim if interested. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to upload the short video clips that I took. I'll persevere.
 |
The further north we travelled, the more termite mounds we saw, and the larger they became.
|
 |
| A large Termite Mound at our coffee stop |
 |
| A large termite mound and a dramatic sky |
 |
| Coffee stop view from above |
 |
Road to Exmouth
|
 |
I have no idea where this road leads to
|
 |
| Road to and from Exmouth |
 |
| The grass is not always greener on the other side, but it is surprisingly green |
 |
| Yay...Made it. |
 |
| A lovely mural in Exmouth to remind me of yesterday's experience |
 |
How I like winter - The weather forecast for the next week
|
 |
| Our back yard at Exmouth for 5 nights |
Comments
Post a Comment